Whether it is a laptop or a desktop, your PC is the core of your gaming experience. Like no cup of chocolate is complete without tasty peanut butter, you would require a reliable gaming mouse for precise targeting and a gaming keyboard for controlling the movements and commands in the game. The gaming laptop does come with decent keyboards built-in for the on-the-go gaming experience, but when it comes to playing the same game on your PC a featured rich standalone mechanical keyboard is the need of the hour. Today, the market is flooded with more game-focused models, but finding the suitable and compatible gaming keyboard is utmost necessary.
The gaming keyboards offer a wide range of benefits that are used to highlight the game’s control shames. This includes the programmable macro keys, reactive key switches, mappable RGB lighting and more. The wireless technology is also integrated to eliminate the need for tying it to the desktop to play games. Choosing the Best Gaming Keyboard can be tricky and hence to narrow down your search here is the list of top rated and Best Gaming Keyboard of 2018.
The Different Types of Gaming Keyboards:
- All-Purpose Models – Majority of gaming keyboards available today are all-purpose models. There some many mechanical keyboards which resemble a standard office keyboard, but with few extra keys or fancy backlights. These keyboards are designed to look unassuming but come with some mechanical switches under its hood and the extra row of macro switches. These keyboards are the perfect choice for MOBA, RTS, FPS and any other adventure or action games.
- MMO Keyboards – Gamers who can live or die by the cooperative gaming world must opt for this model. This is the Gaming Keyboard model that comes with lots of macro keys in multiple rows. The traditional MMO keyboards are designed with 6 extra keys, but there are also other models where you will find 18 truly micro-manage keys to manage all aspects of character’s skill rotation.
- Tenkeyless Models – These are small Gaming Keyboard which is inexpensive and lightweight. If space is limited on the desk or you want to enjoy tournaments on the go, then tenkeyless Gaming Keyboard is the best option indeed.
- Precision and Speed – These mechanical Gaming Keyboard claims to deliver you higher precision and speed while playing games. You only need to press the keys halfway before registering a keystroke. This means less work and pressure on fingers.
- Versatile – Besides being attractive, they are very versatile. It is designed to handle a variety of movements and controls in the game with the highest speed and precision.
- Different Fancy Lighting – There are keyboards that are designed with different backlights for fancy design
- Wired or Wireless – You need to choose between wired and wireless depending upon your needs. It is completely on your preference which one you would like to choose.
- Macro Keys – The Best Gaming Keyboard comes with multiple extra macro keys that allows you to customize based on your preferences.
- Colour Illumination – You must choose the keyboard that comes with amazing RGB backlight along with brightness adjustment and animation.
- Budget – You must compare the rates of different models prior to making a choice.
Reviews of Top Best Gaming Keyboard of 2018
1. Roccat Vulcan 100 Aimo
If you are not restricted by a budget and serious about gaming, then it is highly recommended to invest in Vulcan 100 Aimo. This Gaming Keyboard comes with a wrist support and all the keys are tall enough to necessitate the required support. The keyboard comes with a complete metal board that comprises of unique skeletal design. Moreover, the keyboard comes with premium grade mechanical construction and it is coupled with RGB backlighting with over 16 million colour schemes to deliver.
As already mentioned, Vulcan 100 Aimo is quite expensive Gaming Keyboard, but the features and the specifications integrated into the keyboard surely outweigh its hefty pricing. With the use of this Gaming Keyboard, you are likely to get some excellent and serious quality gaming experience. The keyboard is dust as well as spill proof and its RGB backlighting gives the keyboard a funky and stylish look. It has a sleek mechanical action for optimal controls and handling of movements while playing the game.
- Virtually spill and dust proof
- Funky design and model
- Sleek mechanical action
- Strong EGB backlighting
- Too noisy
- Here is no Wireless Support
2. Corsair K70 LUX
Corsair K70 LUX is the mechanical Gaming Keyboard which is an all-purpose model. The keyboard is designed with Cherry MX Brown switches which are integrated to deliver exceptional tactile feedback with an audible click without the distraction and jarring of the way of stiffer switches. This mechanical gaming keyboard is perfect for both office typing and to vault around the Crucible Maps in the games. By style, the keys are made with backlit and are slightly ominous red.
All the keys in Gaming Keyboard are assignable through its Corsair Utility Engine suite which makes the keyboard truly your own in both function and form. It comes with dedicated media controls as well as onboard USB pass-through ports that enable you to move the existing USB port from PC to keyboard instead of extra ports. However, the keyboard is quite pricey and it demands two different USB connections if you are hooking it through USB 2.0 ports.
- Wired USB Interface
- Programmable keys
- Highly confineable and versatile
- Aluminium chassis
- Pricy and expensive
- Supports the only PC not the laptop
3. HyperX Alloy Elite
HyperX Alloy Elite is the Gaming Keyboard that set a perfect example for luxury perks and functionality. The steel frame and sturdy construction of the keyboard will surely withstand the clumsiest drops or the furious toss while playing and the roomy design of the keyboard enables for comfortable spacing of each key. It gives the gamers with the feel of the luxury keyboard with obvious durability and pleasant weight. The Gaming Keyboard is further embellished with additional option keys and controls which give you the feeling of the high priced car equipped with the electronic dashboard.
However, the lack of software means that the keys of the keyboard are not individually programmable. But, this Gaming Keyboard offers with you rare option to opt from the range of Cherry switches like medium click brown, tactile, quite reds, linear, or clicker blues and stiffer. For gaming, you are recommended to choose only the Browns or Reds.
- Red LED Backlighting
- Selection of Cherry Switches
- Rugged Steel Frame
- Onboard options, media controls, and lighting
- No dedicated macros
- Lacking in software
4. Razer BlackWidow Chroma
For all those OSX diehard fans, Razer BlackWidow Chroma is the best on the block that takes pride for their Steam Collection. Besides being the full keyboard layout, the Gaming Keyboard also features the five dedicated macro buttons within its WASD distance and this additional layer of utility which you won’t find in any model. All keys in the keyboard are assignable to an impressive level, all thanks to the Razer’s Synapse customization software. No matter which Chroma peripherals you have got, but the keyboard can coordinate color patterns across all the attached products, thereby converting it to the best battle station.
Feel wise, this Gaming Keyboard uses proprietary “Green” class of mechanical keys which are analogous to the Cherry MX Blues. This ensures that the Green Switches are both tactile and clicky and it translates to audile clack and perceptible bump with every press of keys. All ports are located on the right side of the keyboard and it depends on the size of the desk and the handedness and due to cables, it may crowd the mouse zone.
- Dedicated macro keys
- Full OSX compatibility
- Razer’s Mechanical Green Switches
- Uncomfortable pass-through port placement
- Very expensive
5. Corsair Gaming K95 RGB
For all those MMO fans who want to experience the best gaming experience must opt for Corsair Gaming K95 RGB keyboard which offers faster access to abilities and macros. This Gaming Keyboard takes almost everything and best is its K70 RGB Rapidfire and slaps 18 dedicated macro keys located on the left side of the keyboard. This makes it easier to use it to trigger the 108 macros while playing games. Apart from this, the K95 RGB also features some bells and whistles like the K70 RGB Rapid-fire and the pass-through USB ports are missing in the keyboard.
The K95 RGB uses the Cherry MX Red Switches instead of Cherry MX Speed units which are found on its predecessor. The reds have taller actuation points than the Speed Switches and longer travel distance, but both require the same force to actuate. Finally, the K95 RGB is non-tactile and non-clicky switches. But still, it is an excellent Gaming Keyboard.
- Customizable RGB
- Aircraft grade aluminum frame
- Bountiful macro keys
- No USB pass-through available
6. Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Undauntedly, Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum is the good looking and highly functional Gaming Keyboard in the market today. It gives the gamers the feeling of high and precisely engineered keyboards for playing games. This Gaming Keyboard is designed with Logitech patented Romer G Switches and it is available as either tactile or linear and this is the shortest throws in this class of Gaming Keyboard. But gamers would feel smoother and responsive while playing games with this keyboard in either confirmation. The keyboard also comes with sharp backlighting keys which are available in 16.9 million color schemes and they are projected by centered backlight with Swiss crafted lens under the keys.
The Gaming Keyboard also comes with a suite of add-ons which may appeal to gamers like the Arx Control Second Screen functionality that enables you to view information from specific games while playing. There are nine macro switches that are tastefully located around the top and left edges of the keyboard.
- Robust anti-ghosting protection
- Elegant design
- Thoughtfully designed to cater to the needs of gamers
- Backlight pops and fully customizable
- Most of the extras are not useful
- Lots of useless gimmicks
7. Razer Ornata Chroma
By combining mechanical and membrane technology together, Razer has designed the Ornata Chroma. This keyboard is designed to offer you with best tactile experience. The medium height keys of the keyboard are not suitable for all gamers, but each press of the keys would satisfy them and the slick offerings are ideal for office typing as well. However, it is a bit noisy and may kill everyone in the room. However, the key presses are gratifying and intuitive.
Razor Ornata Chroma has wired USB interface and customizable RGB. The users are allowed to change the programmable backlit individually using the Razer patented Synapse app and the keyboard works smoothly with both Macs and PCs. So, whether you need a fire flickering under your fingers or set up a specific game profile, it is always within your reach. The fake leather wrist rest is comfortable enough to use for long hours. Its WASD position is magnetic and it is very intuitive, satisfying and stylish at such an affordable price.
- Combination of the membrane and mechanical technology
- Comfortable wrist rest
- Stylish and satisfying clicky key presses
- It is not fully mechanical
- It is noisy
8. SteelSeries Apex M750 TKL
SteelSeries Apex M750 TKL is the compact Gaming Keyboard and it is specifically designed for ESPORT professionals. At its core are the incredibility solid board and robust aluminum construction with dedicated switches and its long list of perks making it the best-suited gaming keyboard. This Gaming Keyboard is the slimmed down version of full-body M750 but with the Numpad trimmed off the edges so as to enhance the desk space for mouse pads and other office equipment. Due to its compact size, it fits well to your lap and gives you the easy option for browsing. Since it is designed to cater to ESPORTs professionals, it is strong and sturdy enough and highly functional with gorgeous design and satisfying proprietary switches.
The Gaming Keyboard also comes with a package of most intuitive pack-in software. Apart from traditional SteelSeries Engine, it also has a programmable lighting app called ImageSync that enables you to access a host of lighting and reactive typing effects.
- It is compatible with PC and Macs
- Very slim, compact and durable keyboard
- Comes with suites of specialized lighting for games
- No tenkeys available which are like a double-edged sword
9. Cougar Ultimus
Cougar Ultimus is the top budget pick in Gaming Keyboard. It features a strong first impression and right out of the box is the solid, weighty exposed steel structure that gives you the feel of sustainability and durability in your hands. Its ultra-sleek design accentuates the sturdy construction of the Gaming Keyboard. This keyboard gives you the feel of significant object in a way that so many affordable and hollow plastic models can’t. It comes with mechanical keys which give the feeling of responsiveness and springy. However, not all keys integrated into the keyboard are impressive and but they do offer you with tactile feedback.
The Ultimus really shine when its range of RGB lighting is deployed fully and it comes with 14 backlighting effects range from subtle to exotic. Some of its handy features like n-key rollover, shortcut keys add solid outing from Cougar which proves that the Gaming Keyboard is ready to challenge the big boys in the field.
- Attractive and sturdy design at the affordable price
- Solid and no-frills design
- Great set of RGB backlight option
- Light on extra and bonus features
10. Logitech G213 Prodigy
Logitech G213 Prodigy is the highly desired mechanical Gaming Keyboard that is affordable and functional for avid gamers. If you are on a tight budget, then this Gaming Keyboard is the best choice for you indeed. This great Gaming Keyboard offers some of the best value for money. This keyboard is designed to offer the users with some of the great features which are conventionally seen on more expensive boards. Some of its highlights include the dedicated media controls, RGB backlit keys and limitless software customization.
The keyboard features membrane switches which are turned for gaming purpose solely. However, not all keys are fully programmable and mechanical. So, avid gamers would miss the mechanical keys while playing games. But the keys are responsive enough and set up on most regular keyboards.
- It is the affordable Gaming Keyboard
- The RGB backlighting truly looks great
- It is excellent for gaming
- There are no pass-through USB ports
- The Gaming Keyboard is little chunky in design
- There are no mechanical keys integrated into the keyboard