Whether it is streaming, gaming or just casual browsing on the internet, you need a good wireless router to make your experience better. Even if you upgrade your internet service to support a larger bandwidth, It is often quite useless if your wireless router is not efficient. Whether you are at home or in your workplace it is impossible to spend the day without wireless internet connectivity.
So when do you realize that you need a new wireless wifi router? This is when your internet connection is slow and all your videos start buffering. This is when you are always frustrated with your Wi-Fi and would rather use your mobile data. This is when you have to wait for hours to download a single movie and Finding the best router isn’t an easy thus we have created a list of top 10 best Wireless routers.
So if you have decided that you do need a new one, it is only logical to look for the best wifi routers in the market. If you search online there is bound to be a multitude of wireless routers offering a variety of features and functions. It can be quite confusing if you have to choose from this never-ending list of routers. So to make your decision easier, here are some features that all the best wireless routers are expected to have.
How to Choose the Best Wireless Router?
- Check the processor speed and the RAM capacity of the router. If you are going to use a large amount of data, then ensure that these features are high. The processor can be a single-core, dual-core, or quad-core processor-each succeeding one is better than the one before it. Make sure that the RAM capacity and operating frequency are also high to enable it to support more data.
- Wireless routers have a feature marked as AC followed by a number. You don’t have to get into the technical details of this, but understand that this has something to do with the maximum bandwidth that the router supports. This is not a direct measure of real speed, but it is preferable to have higher numbers (preferably higher than AC 1200). This is because numbers lower than this are usually older and outdated.
- It is helpful if your wireless router is dual-band or tri-band. This basically means that your wireless router can support and broadcast in more than one frequency. This enables a stable and fast Wi-Fi connection.
- Your wireless router gets a plus point if it has a USB port. Though this is not related to the working of the router, a USB port can really come in handy if you are looking to connect your external hard disks, printers or other devices directly to the router.
- The last factor to look for is the range or connectivity limit of the best wireless routers. You have to make sure that your router has enough range to cover the area where you are planning to fix it. If the router has a small range, it is useless for practical purposes even if the other features are great.
Top 10 Best Wireless Routers for Lang Range
Now to help you we have made a list of some of the best wireless routers on the market today.
Note that these routers are the best for long range and short range. So you don’t have to worry about adding more extenders with your router setup. Just get one of these and enjoy seamless internet, gaming and streaming experience.
1. Linksys Ac1750 Smart Wireless Router:
This wireless router by Linksys enables lag free internet connectivity. It is cable of supporting multiple devices and is a great buy for its price range.
- It supports AC Wi-Fi with MIMO Multi-User technology.
- It has a dual-band wireless router system with Wi-Fi bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
- It has a special beamforming technology that ensures speeds as high as 1.7 Gbps.
- Its smart feature includes a Wi-Fi app that enables several options like parental controls and passwords to manage your Wi-Fi using your smartphone device from any place.
- Supported on operating systems such as Mac OS, Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 and browsers like Internet Explorer (version 8 and above), Safari 5, Firefox 8 and Google Chrome.
- The smart Wi-Fi app is very easy to install and operate. It helps you to do various customization options to your wireless networks. It has special features like ‘guest password’ that enables you to create separate networks for guest users.
- Its USB 3.0 port lets you connect to external devices and transfer files.
- If you are a gamer then you are going to love the Ethernet feature. The four Ethernet ports provide great speeds to the connected controller devices; as much as 10 times faster.
- The initial setup can be done very quickly. It will take only about 20 minutes if you know what you are doing. Even if you are not a computer genius, the setup procedure is simple and very easy to figure out.
- There were several other features like all-band steering and VPN that was first announced by Linksys and later withdrawn. Though the router stays true to its existing features, it would have been nice to have all the pre-announced features.
2. Netgear R7000p- 100 Nas Nighthawk Ac2300:
This router from NetGear is a smart Wi-Fi router that is built with MU-MIMO to facilitate continuous streaming and gaming. It has many high tech features that easily makes it one of the leaders of the next generation routers.
- It has AC 2300 Wi-Fi system which has speeds of about 1625+600 Mbps in wireless mode.
- The Multi-User MIMO feature enables simultaneous connection and streaming in many devices.
- It has an advanced, dominant 1GHz Dual Core Processor and has a dynamic QoS to prioritise the network traffic.
- It comes with a smart Wi-Fi app that includes parental controls and other features.
- The parent control option in its ‘Circle with Disney’ app is very useful. You can monitor the internet data usage of your family members, create time limits for using apps like Facebook and even stop the internet connection remotely. This is very helpful for parents who want to keep tabs on their child’s activities.
- Its high power amplifiers and beamforming+ technology can help extend the coverage area and boost Wi-Fi speeds in your mobile by nearly 100%.
- It can easily support a dozen devices without compromising the internet speed.
- The interface and installation set up are very easy and even amateurs can do this in a few minutes.
- The 5 GHz range of coverage is very high and can sometimes extend even outside your backyard.
- You can fully control devices such as the security cameras and WeMo devices by connecting with the network via VPN remotely.
- Though it has not been proved, there has been some complaints regarding slow or no connectivity of internet with devices such as wireless printers.
3. Netgear N 750 Dual Band (Wndr4300) Wireless Router:
This is another product by NetGear that is totally worth the price. It comes with features which far exceed its price and is quite a great model for medium to large houses.
- It has an AC 1750 Wi-Fi with 450 + 1300 Mbps speeds.
- It is in-built with a powerful 800 MHz dual core processor and an elaborate 256 MB RAM.
- It comes with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports that allow you to connect and share your USB data and devices with the network using ‘Ready SHARE’ and a genie software.
- It supports Beamforming+ technology that enables faster, reliable connections with HD streaming quality.
- It has an advanced QoS system and is gigabit wired to support smooth HD streaming and uninterrupted gaming.
- The package comes with an Ethernet cable, installation guide, and power adapter.
- The large RAM capacity allows it to connect to multiple devices simultaneously and efficiently.
- The genie app of this wireless router comes with a feature called the ‘Network Map’ that can give a real- time map of all the connected devices in the network. This app also supports remote access, blocking services for Wi-Fi devices, guest network, and parental controls.
- The simultaneous dual band feature reduces the interference and allows you to connect to more Wi-Fi devices.
- The build quality is precise and the body is highly durable.
- Installation is easy and the web interface is pretty simple to work with.
- It does not have any antennas sticking out and so it can be placed compactly anywhere without worrying about space issues.
- It is supported on several operating systems including Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, and Linux
- Though it is said to be supported on the Mac operating system as well, some users have issues with the installation process.
4. Google Wi-Fi Onhub Router (Ac 1900):
This wireless router by TP-Link is best known for its amazing design and build quality. It comes in-built with a lot of interesting features.
- It has an AC 1900 IOT router.
- It comes with a ‘Google On’ app that serves as a guide for installation and future support.
- It has an automatic switching option that identifies the most uncrowded Wi-Fi channel in the area for every five-minute interval and connects to it to ensure better performance.
- It has multi-directional high powered antennas (13 in number) arranged in a circle to provide all-around connectivity irrespective of the direction.
- It has an auto-update feature that keeps the features and security up to date.
- It runs on a lithium-ion battery.
- It has features to view and monitor all the possible devices connected to the network. It also has options that enable you to send higher or lower bandwidth to a particular selected device for a short duration. This will help you prioritize the data need to the different devices connected.
- The ‘Google OnHub’ solution offered with this wireless router provides easy guidelines that enable a residential user to install and run this router without the help of an IT expert.
- It comes in a sleek, black, compact avatar. There are no protruding external antennas and so this router can easily snuggle into small spaces without any need for adjustments.
- The prioritizing option does not work for long time usage. It has to be reset often.
- The auto switch option that enables you to shift to a least crowded channel may not work at full efficiency all the times because of several factors. But it sure is handy when it does work.
5. Linksys Wi-Fi Wireless- G Broadband Router (Wrt54gl):
The wireless G broadband router from Linksys is a Linux based web sharing router. Known for its high tech encryption features, this router is one of the most secure wireless routers in the market today.
- It is compatible with operating system platforms such as Windows XP and Windows Vista (both 32 and 64 bit systems).
- It has two external antennas and has a maximum link rate of 54 Mbps.
- It backs WPA2 standards and a built-in SPI firewall for secure encryption and protection against virus attacks in all connected devices.
- It has full duplex four Ethernet wired switched LANs (4 x 10/100) and one 1 x 10/100 WAN.
- It supports wireless data transfer rates of and also supports Wireless-G and Wireless-B connected devices.
- It supports dual-band- 4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
- This wireless router comes with pre-installed firmware that is used to control and expand your network or open source. But since this router is Linux based, it can also be customized to suit your taste. This configuration is very simple as it is done on a user-friendly interface.
- It has options to restrict internet access on devices at certain time periods and also to set cut-off limits for data usage.
- It comes in a funky exterior with black and blue colors. The body is quite securely built in a steady frame.
- It allows device prioritization which allows it to give a larger bandwidth for the higher priority devices.
- The phone app that comes with this router is not as advanced as those of other similar models.
- The real-time connectivity range does not meet the expectations and falls a bit short in some cases.
6. Motorola Ac 1900 Router With Power Boost (Mg7550):
Motorola’s MG7550 is a wireless router that has been certified by several leading cable service providers like Comcast, Timer Warner Cable, and Charter Spectrum. Its popularity is due to the following features.
- The package comes with a 16×4 cable modem. This integrated combination reduces unnecessary wiring connections.
- It supports a dual-band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands) and boasts a Wi-Fi gigabit router and four Ethernet ports.
- It supports network access for several wireless devices like smartphones, computers, play stations, and HD TVs.
- The Power Boost feature uses wireless power amplifiers to boost the signals and increase the speed and range in the process.
- Its AnyBeam beamforming technology helps enhance the performance of both the bands.
- It has seven status reporting LEDs that allows easy monitoring and comes with a two-year warranty.
- This router and modem combination is very effective and the transfer rates and the covered range is quite high with no hanging issues, glitches or unwarranted buffering.
- The setup process is a breeze. After plugging into the power and connecting to the cable line, one can directly connect the computer to the router using the Ethernet cable and activate the unit. This process hardly takes a couple of minutes.
- The web interface of the router is aesthetically pleasing to look at and is crafted such that you do not have to be a professional expert to modify and customize the settings.
- The router and modem are so beautifully built with the entire body, left, right and top covered with vents to prevent heat build-up.
- Though not always the case, some users have faced issues with the security of this modem, during provisioning the ISP and factory resetting.
7. Netgear Smart Wifi Router Ac 1750 (R 6400 – 100 Nas):
This wireless router from NetGear is a dual-band gigabit system which is supported for Amazon Echo or Alexa. NetGear is known for its highly efficient wireless routers and this model sure does live up to that expectation.
- It allows control of the entire connected home network through voice commands.
- It has anAC1750 Wi-Fi system with external antenna and speeds of 450+1300 Mbps.
- It comes with the NETGEAR Up app and the NETGEAR genie App that help you set up and maintain the entire system with the help of your mobile devices through remote access.
- It has an advanced QoS system, Beamforming+ technology, and high power amplifiers to enhance your performance, efficiency and connectivity range.
- It has two ports, USB 2.0 port, and USB 3.0 port and it supports five (1 WAN and 4 LAN) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- The dual-band feature of this router helps reduce the interference and offers an interrupted connection to multiple Wi-Fi devices.
- The ReadyCLOUD USB Access feature of this wireless router lets you ensure private and protected cloud access to your USB storage anywhere, at all times.
- The external antennas are high powered and they increase the range effectively. This router can wirelessly connect entire houses.
- The Genie app allows web and data filtering for all the connected devices in your network through features like parental controls, separate guest network access, and highly secure WPA/WPA2Wi-Fi connections.
- It is supported on almost all the latest versions of Windows, Mac, UNIX, and Linux operating systems.
- Though no one challenges the performance of this router, some customers have said that they have faced issues regarding the durability of this router. But this has not been proved and is definitely not true in all cases.
8. Tp-Link Ac 1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (Touch P5):
With its touchscreen setup option and other advanced features, the Touch P5 gigabit router from TP-Link is one of the best high tech wireless routers in the market today.
- It can upgrade the networks to 802.11ac, to get the benefits of the latest Wi-Fi technology.
- It is dual band and supports wireless connectivity in 5GHz (1300Mbps) and 2.4GHz (600Mbps) bands.
- It comes with a unique touchscreen display to enable easy setup and management of all the connected networks.
- It has a 1 GHz dual-core processor and a Beamforming technology for stronger, reliable connections.
- It is compatible with operating systems such as Windows 8, MAC OS, NetWare, UNIX or Linux.
- It has four Ethernet gigabit ports that help speed up connectivity through wired connections.
- It is very high speed and can easily stream 4K HD videos and online games, lag-free without any buffering.
- The touchscreen display is very intuitive and is quite popular among tech freaks for its highly interactive interface.
- The touch screen facility is also a great advantage if you have frequent guests. By displaying the required connection information on the screen you can easily provide your visitors with quick access to use your guest network.
- With the sleek touch screen and three external antennae, this wireless router is perfectly built and is quite a refreshing sight for sore eyes.
- Despite its complex features, this router is extremely easy to install and setup. In fact, these advanced features actually help provide easier usage rather than complicating stuff.
- This router is not capable of checking for firmware updates automatically. This is quite inconvenient as one has to manually do this by going to the TP-Link website and check for installation upgrades.
This Wifi router is a product of MediaBridge and comes with a steady body with unique features.
- It has Gigabit Ethernet ports that provide 10 times the speed as other ‘fast Ethernets’. Speeds as high as 1000Mbps can be reached for lag-free video streaming and online gaming.
- It uses Beamforming technology and is coupled with 2 high powered antennas that are used to maximize the coverage range and focus the wireless signal to your network device.
- It is equipped with a robust firewall and other wireless security features to facilitate safe data streaming and downloading while blocking unwanted users.
- It has additional features such as parental control, usage restrictions, setting data cut off limits, router lights adjustments, guest network settings and many more.
- It comes with a special feature called the universal Range Extender Mode’ that extends your range and covers all your devices in a single network.
- It has only two external antennas but their range is quite extensive and they can easily reach up to two or three stories in your house. Even if this is not enough, you can switch to the extender mode.
- Do not worry if you are a nontech savvy person. This router comes with a simple step by step written instructions that will help you set up your wireless router in no time.
- Whether it is Time Warner, Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fioz or Spectrum, this router is compatible with several models of modems and internet service providers.
- It provides quick access to stored photos and music across the connected devices and also enables setting up of internet restrictions and bandwidth limits.
- Sometimes the initial connection to devices is not always successful and needs a few trails.
10. Asus Wifi Router Wireless Range Extender:
This Asus product comes with a range extender, signal booster, and wireless-N repeater. Though this is not a popular extender, this product definitely exceeds the expectations and is greatly worth the price.
- The extender can work in multiple modes such as router, repeater and AP operation modes depending on the difference in different network demands.
- The repeater mode of the extender facilitates long-range connectivity through wireless signals.
- It has features to boost the speed by an extra 300 Mbps. It also supports a fast Ethernet port for convenient wired device connection.
- It works with all standard routers, modems with IEEE 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n.
- It supports WEP, WPA, WPA Mixed, WPA2, and WPS wireless security.
- It comes with a sturdy, steady and stylish exterior. The wall plug design is very compact and hardly requires any space.
- The setup and installation are super fast. Just press the WPS button to ensure safe encryption and plug into the outlet to set up the connection promptly under Wi-Fi Router, Repeater or AP Modes.
- The range extender can easily boost your wireless router signal to 5 bars in the exact same place where the signal was just 2 bars before its installation.
- It works well with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and hence is compatible with any router signal.
- The performance or signal strength does not noticeably diminish as the number of connected devices increases within the extended range.
- It enhances the usage of your Wi-Fi to maximum capacity by facilitating lag free and bufferless streaming.
- Though this product provides the best-extended range possible for the given price, this range may not be always enough. In that case, you will have to opt for higher models.